top of page

So this is the section where we get down to the nitty-gritty........

In order for your marriage to be officiated under Australian Law there are legal requirements that must be met and attended to. I am happy to take responsibility for the preparation and lodgement of all legal paperwork and below is a list of the documents you will need to provide in order for me to do so.


Both parties must be over 18 years of age. In cases where one member of the party (and only one) is under the age of 18 we may still proceed with a legal Marriage Ceremony if parental consent is granted (as per Section 12 of the Marriage Act).

  • You will be required to lodge your NOIM (Notice of Intended Marriage) a minimum of one month and a maximum of 18 months prior to your wedding date (There are exceptions where the minimum time can be lowered – you will need to contact the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in your state to find out if you are eligible). We can complete the NOIM ( Notice of Intended Marriage) together at our second meeting and you will need to bring along all original legal documents (if this is not suitable we will make arrangements for you to send it to me, signed by an authorized witness. Where this is the case you will also need to email me all relevant legal documents and bring the originals to our pre-ceremony meeting).
  • In order for me to witness your execution of the NOIM I will need to sight documentary evidence of your age and identity. This evidence will need to be supplied in the form of;
  • A current International Passport and/or Original Birth Certificate (please note that no copies, not even certified will suffice).
  • If either of you have been previously married I will need to view documentary evidence that you are free to marry. This evidence will need to be supplied in the form of;
  • A Divorce Decree Absolute, or if you have been widowed a Death Certificate (I will need to sight these documents in their original form).
  • If you have legally changed your name since birth I will need to sight your; Proof of Name Change Document.
  • You will both be required to sign declarations stating that no circumstances exist under which your marriage would be deemed invalid under Australian Law.
  • Two persons over the age of 18 must act as witnesses on the day of your Marriage. These witnesses must speak and understand the English language (I cannot act as a witness for you).
  • Whilst your ceremony will be a unique reflection of you as a couple certain official words must be included by law. I will explain these words and how we will incorporate them at our official interview.
bottom of page